For Tampa residents, replacing your shingle roof means shopping for a quality product that can take the heat and wind of our subtropical climate. For most homeowners, GAF shingles offer the best combination of durability and affordability. Combine that with a trustworthy contractor and you will know you have found the best shingles for your roof.
A properly installed shingle roof system should last around 20 years. In the time they own their homes, most Tampa homeowners will only replace their roof once if they select a durable, sturdy product.
GAF shingles are built to withstand hurricane winds, strong sunlight, and hail damage. With three complete product lines and warranties that can last your lifetime, GAF produces tough, beautiful asphalt shingles any homeowner can be proud of for years to come.
A properly installed shingle roof can last 20 years or more. While you cannot judge a product by price alone, higher quality GAF shingles will cost more initially than cheaper brands. When you consider the annual cost over 20 years, you will actually save money by buying better quality.
Do not waste money on shingles of excellent quality that are put down by a second-rate crew. Quality GAF shingles are the last layer in a complex roofing system, starting with your home’s roof sheathing.
Some questionable contractors may attempt to talk you into slapping another asphalt shingle roof on top of your existing shingles, no matter their condition. A truly professional roofer will examine your roof, see to removal of your old shingles, replace damaged sheathing, and then go through more than a dozen other steps:
- Remove and replace rotted fascia board
- Refasten all sheathing using 8-penny ring shank nails to “code plus” strength.
- Install a leak barrier underlayment
- Install rubber membrane in critical areas
- Re-install skylights over existing openings, thoroughly sealed
- Install new boots over plumbing pipes and new vents for kitchen, clothes dryer and bathroom exhaust, all thoroughly sealed
- Install custom color drip edge flashing and valley metal
- Install wind-resistant GAF starter strip shingles
- Install high quality GAF shingles
- Install high wind-resistant ridge cap shingles at crowns and hips
- Receive a full warranty inspection of the roof by a certified GAF inspector
This quality is only available through a GAF Master Elite contractor. For more help in selecting the best shingle roof for your Tampa-area home, contact American Roofing & Sheet Metal